Wednesday 3 December 2014

Review: The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin



Mara Dyer once believed she could run from her past.
She can’t.

She used to think her problems were all in her head.
They aren’t.

She couldn’t imagine that after everything she’s been through, the boy she loves would still be keeping secrets.
She’s wrong.

In this gripping sequel to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, the truth evolves and choices prove deadly. What will become of Mara Dyer next?




Goodreads    



I picked up The Evolution of Mara Dyer literally a few minutes after finishing The Unbecoming and considering that was around 2 am in the morning I think it shows how much I already loved the series. Well, this book made me love it even more!
It was dark and even more creepy than the previous one. I'm ashamed to admit it, but by the end of it, I had stolen my fair share of glances behind me to make sure everything was still normal and I also jumped on the sound of my dad knocking at my door.... Yeah.... It was creepy alright...
I sympathised a lot more with Mara, who goes through so much in this book. From being thrown into a mental hospital, sleepwalking, getting wierd prophesies from crazy old ladies and being kidnapped, this girl couldn't catch a brake! And that was only half of it! 

Though, despite all the crazyness of the book there were some pleasant surprises too! One of them being Jamie! He's back! 

Yay photo yaay_zpsan3ezdka.gif

Jamie is one of my favorite characters in this trilogy! He's witty, a great friend and overall fantastic! Him coming back, was one of the high lights of the book for me!

Another high light was well.... almost every scene between Mara and Noah!
I can't describe to you how much I ship those two! Their romance was intense and beautiful. I loved how their relationship developed through out the book! They became closer and opened up more to each other about how they felt. Also some of their scenes were pretty hilarious.
Noah, was even more perfect in this book. How could he not be? He's loyal, always supportive of all the crazy plans Mara comes up with, deviously witty, loving and, let's not forget, Brittish. How can you not love him!
We also meet a few new characters, one of them being Phoebe. Oh, how I hated Phoebe. She was one of the teens in the mental hospital-school-thing Mara was enrolled to and she was creepy, disturbing and a complete psycho.
Lastly, The Evolution answered a lot of questions from the first book but, of course, left us with a couple more. Also, something worth mentioning is Michelle Hodkins writing. I said it before and I will say it again, her writing is so easy to get through! It's descriptive and yet it also flows really well! Makes you fly through the book!
Overall, The Evolution of Mara Dyer was a fantastic read! Dark, creepy and full of romance, the sequel in the Mara Dyer trilogy was as thrilling as the first one! Fingers crossed the last one will be as good!


    Book info:

Paperback, 546 pages
Published, September 23rd 2012
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Genre: Mystery, Paranormal, Romance, Young Adult.

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment