Monday 5 January 2015

Review : These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner



It's a night like any other on board the Icarus. Then, catastrophe strikes: the massive luxury spaceliner is yanked out of hyperspace and plummets into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive. And they seem to be alone. 

Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls like Lilac are more trouble than they’re worth. But with only each other to rely on, Lilac and Tarver must work together, making a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain to seek help. 

Then, against all odds, Lilac and Tarver find a strange blessing in the tragedy that has thrown them into each other’s arms. Without the hope of a future together in their own world, they begin to wonder—would they be better off staying here forever?

Everything changes when they uncover the truth behind the chilling whispers that haunt their every step. Lilac and Tarver may find a way off this planet. But they won’t be the same people who landed on it



Review


I am not going to lie to you. When I made the decision to buy this book it was not for its amazing plot - I don't think I had even bothered to glance at the description in the back- it was for its gorgeous cover. If I could, I would have this cover made into a giant poster for my wall. What I didn't know, was that its content was as beautiful and breath-taking as its exterior. These Broken Stars is on my top 5 books of 2014! ( I didn't put it on my TTT list because I hadn't finished it yet at the time) It was captivating, enchanting, compelling and it completely blew me away!

I loved the dynamic between the two main characters! Their interactions were often hilarious and their chemistry was amazing. The characters themselves were very complex, had many layers and really developed through out the book. Oh and you know how we all hate insta-love? Yeah you won't find any of that here. Although there is an immediate attraction, Lilac and Tarver start off wanting to rip each others' heads off. It was so fun watching their relationship grow from bickering and insulting each other to coming to trust one another and eventually fall in love.

The dual PoV was a success in my opinion. I loved getting to know each character and view situations from both aspects. It made bonding with them and caring for them and their story easier. The writing was also incredible. Both writers have an amazing talent for story telling and their writing flowed really well while being lush and descriptive at the same time. It made this whole world come to life in my mind in a matter of seconds


I admit, I started off not liking Lilac much. I thought she resembled the stereotypical rich girl image- spoiled, self-centred and a bit too whiney. Through out the course of the story though, I started sympathising with her and understand her situation more. By the end of the book she had gone under a great deal of development, becoming a very strong and level-headed female character. 



approve photo:  approve.gif
Tom Hiddleston approves too :)

Tarver... I really liked Tarver. Scratch that. I really loved Tarver. He was just.... just.... well, amazing. Hard-working, brave, equipped with witty comebacks and completely swoon worthy (I think I have used this word in almost every single one of my reviews...). In short, I wouldn't mind having a Tarver in my life!


Awww photo awwwww-1.gif

Overall, this book was, with one word, beautiful. It captured the sense of survival, had an amazing, slow-burning romance you rarely find in books, well-developed characters and incredible writing. I couldn't praise it enough! You should just go and read it right now! Seriously. Don't waste any time. Just go.



 Book info:

Hardcover, 374 pages
First Published: December 10th 2013
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Genre: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Romance.

Rating: 5/5

6 comments:

  1. So glad you enjoyed These Broken Stars, Anastasia, it encourages me to read it! I've heard positive things about it thus far and I'm excited to experience it for myself. And I agree, I love the cover too, it's an attention grabber! Great review, as always :D

    Claire @ Cover to Cover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :D
      You should definitely try it out! You won't be disappointed!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one! I had a bit of trouble with it. I too liked the characters but some things were a bit too abstract and strange to me. I'm happy you loved this one though. Lovely review!

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! :D I know some readers had a few problems with this book but I just couldn't help but love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Anastasia, just wanted to tell you I nominated you for the Liebster Award up on my blog..:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! I'll definitely work on the post as soon as I can :)

      Delete