Sunday 16 November 2014

Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin


Mara Dyer believes life can't get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can. 

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her strangely unharmed. 

There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love. 

She's wrong.


A full week  has past after reading this book and I'm still trying to gather my thoughts in order to write a proper review so if this seems a bit over the place.... Bear with me people.

I loved this book to bits. It was dark, suspenseful and pretty creepy at times. Seriously. I stole my fair share of glances behind me to ensure no creepy dead person was standing there watching me. The writing was really easy to get into and the pacing was amazing. And don't get me start on the romance! 
Oh, Noah... *sigh*  

I don't think I can properly describe to you how hard I was fangirling at the scenes between Noah and Mara! Those two had an unbelievable chemistry that I just couldn't get enough of!

So let's move on to the Characters.

We begin with Mara, a16-year-old girl, who's been in an accident that she has no recollection of and wakes up to find her best friend, boyfriend and his sister dead. After that, she begins having hallucinations of them and imagining people's deaths few minutes before they happen. Naturally, she begins to think she's crazy. But what if she isn't?

I really enjoyed Mara's character. She was flawed, damaged and overall lost. Do you even wonder why I liked her? *enter sarcasm* But, jocking aside, I think that's what made her 'real'.  She is dignosed with PTSD, is really confused and for the most part of the book she tried to cast aside what she was seeing as hallucinations or simple coincidents which was something that anybody else in her place would have done. She was, for the most part, a credible character and that's something I really liked about her.

Then we have Noah. The mysterious beautiful boy who takes an interest on Mara. I loved him! What more is there to say? He was complex and always ready with a witty response. Smart and determinded, he was a really swoon-worthy male character! He was also there for Mara when she need him and a nice destraction for her from all the weird stuff happening. Definitely high up on my book-boyfriend list!

I also can't go on without talking about one of my favorite characters, Jamie. Although he didn't stay long in the book Jamie was the comic relief to this book for me. He was so sassy and also a very good friend, one that stands up to people when they've wronged someone. He was just awesome!

On another note, that cliffhanger! It had me gaping at the book and then, of course, throwing it on my bed and jumping onto the next one. I am not kidding. I started The Evolution of Mara Dyer in the span of 3 minutes after finishing The Unbecoming. And so far? It's so good!

Five out of five stars, this is a book I really recommend reading! It's something differenet and exciting! And if you are in the mood for something creepy and mysterious? Even better!

Book info:
  • Paperback, 466 pages
  • Published, September 27th 2011
  • Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
  • Genre: Mystery, Paranormal.
  • Rating: 5/5


Mystery= The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer



No comments:

Post a Comment